The Michael and Lenore Molnar Sanctuary
The 113-acre Michael and Lenore Molnar Sanctuary, named for the couple who donated it to Audubon in 2000, is located at 850 Page Road in Portage County, Aurora OH. It is on the west side of Page Road a few hundred yards north of Mennonite Road (Aurora location map).
It is divided into two tracts (see map at left). The northerly and larger tract is almost entirely native hardwood forest that was last harvested in the 1920’s. Its most noteworthy feature, however, is a striking 8-acre pond with wooded, moss covered banks (see above) built by the donors in the 1950’s. The pond drains into the City of Aurora’s nearby Sunny Lake and then to the Aurora Branch of the Chagrin River.
The southern tract is an old farm property, including the foundations of farm buildings. The fields were overgrown with European buckthorn, and are currently being restored to a more natural state with mowing, spot spraying and planting wildlife friendly plants.
Due to the Molnar Sanctuary’s proximity to Aurora’s Sunny Lake Park, the property presents Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland the opportunity to develop cooperative programs with the City of Aurora for the benefit of local schools and residents.